Coordinated attack ends in Jalalabad city, 10 dead, 42 wounded

Coordinated attack ends in Jalalabad city, 10 dead, 42 wounded

Coordinated attack ends in Jalalabad city, 10 dead, 42 wounded

ISIS has claimed responsibility for an attack on a government building in Afghanistan on Sunday, the group's Amaq news agency said without providing any evidence.

Afghan security forces battled for hours against a group of attackers who stormed a government building in Jalalabad on Sunday after an assault that killed at least 15 people and wounded 42.

The local officials in eastern Nangarhar province confirm that the coordinated attack on Customs Department in Jalalabad city ended with the elimination of the remaining six militants.

Fighting between the assailants and Afghan security forces is on-going and one attacker has been killed, he said.

The attack was launched when a suicide bomber set off an explosive-laden vehicle near the entrance of the department, said Attaullah Khugyani, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.

Earlier, an explosion at a mosque in the eastern Afghan province of Khost killed at least 13 people and wounded 31 and the casualty total may rise.

The militant attack is the latest in a series across Afghanistan this year. Witnesses said the explosions had caused carnage among passers-by.

Violence has escalated across Afghanistan since the announcement of the Taliban's annual spring offensive last month and there have been heightened security fears around preparations for elections in October.

Afghan security forces have struggled to combat the Taliban and IS since the US and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation formally concluded their combat role in the country in 2014, shifting to a support and counterterrorism mission.

Related news